Sometimes when I talk about my day to day life with friends and family back home, I get the feeling that they don't quite get it. The daily struggles, and perks, of living in the Mountains. Maybe not all mountain living is like Lake Louise living, but I can assume every mountain town/village has similar nuances. So I compiled a list of 16 Insane (But True) Things About Mountain Living.
- You will see bears. You will fear for your life. You will want to run, and you can't.
- It snows at least once a month. Even in August. (Especially in August.)
- You voluntarily work weekends to avoid the super crowded streets, attractions, and tourists.
- You go to "Church". At midnight. At a bar. (It's not really Church, in case you couldn't guess.)
- You will let your friends buy you a Shaft at the bar. You will drink it, even though they refuse to tell you what's in it. You'll like it, a lot. And order a second.
- The Emergency Helicopter will fly by and you'll think "Well, someone died on their hike today."
- God forbid, you will grow accustomed to not eating fast food. Because there is no fast food. Only overpriced burgers and sweet potato fries...
- Sweat pants are acceptable at the bar. (Why would we ever leave the mountains after knowing this?)
- The fact that it's 4 degrees Celsius on a mid-August morning will not surprise you.
- Driving to the nearest town to get groceries is a "Day Trip". You invite all your friends, take lots of selfies, and create a Snapchat story for it. (Most likely stopping for Timmies or McDonalds while you're there, because HELLO.)
- When winter comes (in September, eyeroll) your walk to work turns into a scene from Narnia.
- You will learn how to swear in multiple languages. TABARNAK!
- The morning after the bar, you'll have six more friends on Facebook you can't remember meeting.
- Half of your things are at other people's houses 99% of the time. Clothes, dishes, in some peoples cases (PAIGE), even your phone.
- You will have hungover group chats that consist entirely of gifs.
- You will have the time of your life.
While our lives aren't exactly normal, they are great. Just watch out for Bear Poop ;)
*Special thanks to my LLI Britches for helping me out <3